Monday, March 12, 2012

Progeny

Before John and I got married, we talked about having kids. Neither of us were spring chickens when we met, so we knew we didn't have a lot of time to put off parenthood. I told him that I only wanted 2, which he was fine with, but he said I should know that they would look like him. He told me that all of his brothers' and sister's children look alike. I told him that was fine, because I liked the way he looked.




Then along came Miles. I just figured he'd look like a Richardson, so I didn't think too much about it. I didn't think he looked a whole lot like me or John, but he was a baby; who can tell? He had ears that poked out and that were soft and covered in fuzz. He definitely had John's hands and feet. They're like little miniatures of his father's. His eyes were dark blue for several months. I almost thought he'd get John's beautiful blue eyes, but they slowly got darker and darker. You couldn't really even call them hazel anymore. They're brown.



He certainly didn't act anything like John. John is quiet, very even tempered, reserved, and thoughtful. Miles is very, very talkative, impulsive, and has a short little fuze. Miles is, however, very smart, just like his dad. (Yes, I'm smart, too. But these two are freaky smart.)



When we had Elise, I couldn't see that she looked much like Miles when he was a baby. She and Miles did both sort of look Enuit when they were born. I don't know why that is. She is a mini-me. She has my build, my hands and feet, and my hair. I dare anyone to say they hate their body when they see it in the 2-year-old miniature version of their child! She has my facial expressions. I know what she's thinking because I can see it on her face.




In fact, because I've been thinking that Elise looks like me and Miles looks like John it really came as a surprise to me the other day when I changed my facebook profile picture to one of me when I was about 8. That's when it hit me. Miles looks like me!!
















I can't find a picture of him smiling. He's more like his father that way.







And these are the Richardson children. (Charlie Jr., Graham, and Emily are missing from this photo.)







No comments:

Post a Comment