I mentioned that I'm married to John. We've been married 7 years and I love him more every day. Seriously. I am so happily married it's ridiculous. We're quite smug about it, too. Not openly, of course. We were both married to other people once, so we know what the other side looks like. We prefer it where we are. Everyone always says that marriage is hard work. We say, if you have to work that hard you're probably married to the wrong person. We have it very, very easy. And for that I am eternally grateful.
His job, however, makes me crazy. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the fact that his has one! He likes doing what he does and it certainly pays the bills and allows me to stay home with the kids. But. It takes him away from home a LOT. This past year has been the worst of the four years he's had this job. He has been home exactly 21 days in the last 5 months. That's all. We talk on the phone at least once every day and we Skype once-a-week. (Thank God for Skype!) But we miss him terribly.
So, I sometimes feel like a single mother. Granted, I think most single moms have to have jobs, so I do have the benefit of an income. But the doing everything myself gets to be pretty wearing. Being the only one responsible for these two little lives 24/7 takes its toll some days.
But, I'm not complaining. I miss my family and the support system I had in Georgia, but I'll get into that more later. For now, we have it mostly figured out. We have a schedule and a routine that keeps us busy and that keeps me mostly sane. Miles is in school all day and Elise goes to pre-school three days a week until 1pm. I am able to schedule appointments and get errands done without two kids in tow. And I'm able to have some time to myself, which is, honestly, priceless. Now, if John's current schedule continues into the summer, I may be singing a different tune. The one the cuckoo bird sings.
No comments:
Post a Comment