Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Bread=Candy

About 2 months ago, I took the whole family off grains and legumes. Miles (my 6-year-old son) was having some behavior issues at school and the possibility of ADHD was brought up. So, I made an appointment with a Behavioral Pshychologist and looked into diet as a cause for, or a means of helping control, Miles' behavior. I have a friend who recommended the Paleo diet, so I did a little bit of research and then took the plunge.

Well, 2 months later, I haven't seen a huge difference in behavior when Miles has had grains. He's adjusting well to his new classroom (which he moved into the same time as starting Paleo)and the psychologist determined that he does not have ADHD. (I have noticed that sugar throws him into a tail spin!) Miles did come home with a white slip yesterday, but it was his first this quarter.

So, I've added whole grains and organic peanut butter back to the kids' diets (I'm staying on Paleo). Well, you'd think this bread was made of candy the way my kids have been asking for it. They went through a whold loaf over the weekend. Miles asked for a sandwich for breakfast this morning (I talked him into an egg and made him a pb&j for lunch). Elise has had 3 slices of bread so far today. Just bread. She didn't want cheese or anything else on it.

I'm going to assume for now that the white slip immediately following resumption of bread consumption was an annomoly. If he comes home with another one before the end of the quarter, the bread is going bye-bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment